Need help to set up a Nest security camera at your place? The following guide will help you with the easy steps for Nest camera setup.
When it comes to the security of your loved ones in your absence, the Nest camera is one device that comes to our mind. Equipped with a number of features, the Nest camera protects your home from intruders. If we talk about Nest camera setup, it is easy and less time consuming. You can get done with the Nest camera installation in a few minutes using the Nest camera app.
Steps to Install a Nest camera
The Nest security camera is an excellent addition to the home surveillance system. It comes with amazing features like night vision, live streaming, video recording, motion detection, two-way audio, and more. Before you begin with the Nest camera setup, you’ll need the following things:
- A mobile device with the Nest camera installed
- An Active Nest account
- A strong Wi-Fi Network
- A Power drillx
Before you get started with the Nest camera installation, you need to pick a spot where you would want to place the camera. Do no place in the areas with direct sunlight. Your Nest camera should receive a strong signal from your wireless router. Some more things to keep in mind while performing the Nest camera login and setup are:
- Place your Nest camera inside during the installation process to make sure it receives a strong signal.
- Turn on the Bluetooth of your mobile device as this will allow the Nest app to communicate with the Nest cam.
- Turn ON the Wi-Fi on your mobile phone. Your mobile phone and Nest camera should be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Install the latest version of the Nest camera app on your mobile device.
How to set up a Nest camera?
Usually, Nest cameras are created for an easy DIY installation process. But setting up for the first time can be confusing. We are sharing some step-by-step instructions to help you perform the Nest camera setup easily.
Step 1- Install the Nest camera app
It isn’t possible to install the Nest camera using a web browser on a computer therefore it is mandatory to download the Nest camera app on your mobile phone. You need to go to the Play Store or App Store on your Smartphone and search for the Nest camera app. Tap on ‘Get’ to install the app on your IOS device and tap on ‘Install’ to install the nest app on the Android device.
Step 2- Create a Nest camera account
Open the Nest cam app on your mobile phone and sign in to your Nest account. If you don’t have an account, tap on ‘Sign Up’ and create a new account. Provide the necessary information such as Email ID, first name, last name, password, and etc. Tap on ‘Create an Account’
Step 3- Add the camera to the app and scan the QR code
- Tap on ‘Add New’ on the nest app home screen if you are new to the camera.
- If you already have more Nest products, tap ‘Settings’ and then select the ‘Add Product’ option.
- The Nest app will now ask you to scan the QR code of the Nest camera using your Smartphone’s camera.
- If you are unable to scan the QR code; simply tap ‘Continue without scanning’. Enter the camera’s serial number instead of scanning the QR code.
- Make sure that the camera is plugged IN and powered ON.
Step 4- Provide a location name to your Nest camera
The Nest camera app will ask you to select the room where you want to place the camera from the list. Provide a name to your Nest camera based on its location.
Now, you need to plug in your Nest camera into a power outlet. Use the power cable and power adapter to attach the Nest camera. When you see a solid blue light it means your Nest camera is powered UP.
Step 5- Connect to Wi-Fi
Go back to the Nest camera app as it will automatically scan for the available Wireless networks. A list will come up on the Nest app that will ask you to choose your home Wi-Fi network. Tap on the Wi-Fi network of your router. You may be asked to enter its Wi-Fi Password.
It is recommended to connect your Nest camera directly to the wireless router instead of a wireless extender or Access Point. Connecting to the wireless extender or Access point may affect the video quality of the Nest camera.
If you are unable to find your home wireless network on the list, you may need to move the camera a bit closer to the wireless router. Turn off the wifi router and turn it back ON after two minutes. Now, re-attempt connecting the Nest camera to the wifi router.
Step 6- Install or Mount the Nest camera
Once you are done with the Nest camera login and setup on the Nest camera app, you can simply install our mount your camera to the required location.
- Before you mount the camera, make sure that the spot has a strong wifi network.
- Turn On the live streaming by going to the Nest app. This will help you check if the camera is able to provide an online feed or not.
- If you are not seeing the live stream on the Nest camera app then it means the WiFi network is weak over there. You need to mount your Nest camera to a different location.
Choosing the best spot to install the Nest camera
When you’re done with the Nest camera setup, choosing a perfect spot for installing our mounting your Nest camera is an essential task. Depending on what you want to keep an eye on, the ideal location for your Nest camera can vary. While mounting your nest camera the question that you need to ask yourself is ‘What’s most important for me to keep an eye ON’? Given below are few things that you should definitely keep in your mind while placing the Nest camera.
- If you want to keep an eye on who passes through certain areas of your home then you should consider placing it in such a way that the area is center view.
- It is always a good idea to install your nest camera at the entry points of your property such as doors, windows, staircase, etc.
- Make sure that the camera is out of reach of your kids and pets as they can unintentionally unplug the camera’s power cable.
- Put the camera on a spot where you can clearly hear or listen to people and they can hear you as well. Do not place it near windows as the sound of wind can disturb the audio quality.
- Place it away from sun, objects, curtains, walls, etc.
Nest camera setup and installation
Yes, the Nest camera is weather proof but there are some recommendations by the experts that you need to keep in mind while installing the Nest camera.
- Avoid placing your outdoor Nest camera in direct sunlight as it can affect the video quality.
- Make sure you have placed the Nest camera within the range of your wireless router.
- Make sure that the porch light or plants do not block the camera’s view.
- You need to place your Nest camera at least 7 feet above the ground to get a clearer view.
Well, that’s all about Nest camera setup and Nest camera login. We hope this article was helpful to you. If you have got more questions in mind, you can get back to us. Our in-house technicians will also help you fix the nest camera issues. You can quickly call our technicians if you are getting nest camera offline or any other error. Our team will help you install the camera in a hassle free manner.